(Aphasia) GETTING WORDS MIXED UP / forgetting words

Issues relating to disorders which are related to, or which may occur as a consequence of HMS. Including but not limited to: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Marfans, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Sticklers Syndrome, arthritis, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome. To include everyday problems such as IBS, eyes, teeth, etc.....

Re: (Aphasia) DOES ANYONE ELSE GET WORDS MIXED UP ?

Postby xxhannahxx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:29 pm

This board is really interesting to me....i am adult SLT and didnt know jargon aphasia could be connected to HMS....its certainly something i would like to read up on and fine out more about now...

Also, if you are having problems and feel it is affecting your day to day life, maybe speak to your GP on consultant about referral to SLT....

xx
xxhannahxx

Postby Taz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Wow this is so interesting! I don't say the wrong words but I get the order of my words mixed up and sometimes just cant get the words out, it never occured to me that it could have anything to do with HMS! It's a very intriguing condition. My OH gets frustrated with me when I cant get my words out and its worse when I am tired. Then when he tries to rush me it makes it worse!
Taz

Postby ickle kitty » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:01 pm

K I so get what you are all saying, but I always called it verbal dyslexia,

I constantly mix up small words, and joining words when talking, especially if I am stressed, angry or upset or even just in a hurry to get my point across,
words like : and, they, he, she, it, they, you, me, when, where, to, so, these are all completely interchangeable in my verbal vocabulary.

I also completely lose words in the middle of a sentence though I have noticed it happens more frequently with the last word of a sentence,
Most recently we got in late-ish and wanted a cuppa and some toast, I got all the way through the following,

" Right if you put the heating on and shut the curtains, I'll put the kettle on set the cups and put the bread in the,,,,,,,,,,,,errrrrmmmmm'

I got so annoyed that I had yet again completely lost the last word of a sentence I stamped my foot and said ,"No don't you dare I'll get it!" when David went to say it for me,
In the end I couldn't get it, and said, "That thingy that browns the bread!"

I also jumbled some of the small words in the sentence when I said it, you and I'll were mixed up so was my and on. I lost the word toaster for 3 days!

Love n hugs to all fellow word jumblers.

Kitty. xx :bye: :D
ickle kitty

Postby Finarda » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 am

Is this really an HMS thing though? Or is it the result of us being in pain and exhausted as part of having a chronic health condition? I'm taking a course right now called "Living a Healthy Life with a Chronic Condition". There are people who have various different conditions from diabetes, to arthritis, to lupus and depression and everyone has more than one condition. The first thing everyone noticed was how common most of the symptoms that most of us experienced were, eg lack of concentration, memory problems, etc. If I had to bet, I'd bet that this was more a side effect of the pain and exhaustion of a chronic condition rather than specifically a symptom of HMS/HEDS.

Just my 2c!

Fiona
Diagnosed EDS - Hypermobility 2004. Severe Hemiplegic Migraines. Both kids show hypermobility but haven't been tested.
A Scot living in Canada
Finarda
nut

Postby hannah » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

I agree that it is probably a side effect of fatigue etc. - I once read a bit about short term sleep deprivation and silly speech was one of the results. I've been very tired the past few weeks and as a result my speech has been moderately insane :lol:
HMSA Patron for Kids and Teens. EDS III. POTS. For various cartoon descriptions of HMS&POTS and ways to help others understand HMS&POTS see http://www.stickmancommunications.co.uk
hannah
addict

Postby l00pyp0u » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:13 pm

did one this morning, just to myself, but I was reading abook and came across the word talk. Now i don't know why but I was completely confused by the word, couldn't understand what it meant, or even make sense of the spelling of the word, it just suddenly didn't make anysense what so ever. Took me a full 5 minutes to get round to the fact that the word was talk and meant speaking.
For me this has really upset me today, as I really dont know what I would do with out my books to escape into, and actually I am worried that this is going to get worse, I know I struggle with speach sometimes, the brain just strings a sentance together, but the mouth doesn't quite get the message, and I get very frustrated, and occasionally I will loose a word for months, but it has never happened when I am reading before. another one for the Dr,. oh well it's going on the list now, poor GP,
LOU
Professional Hypochondriac and Attention Seeking mother! Familial JHS/EDS3, F/M, 22/3/2010
Skake(Thats the Tremor) Rattle(That's the tablets) and Roll(in and out of anything) all the way.Hypermobile 2005
l00pyp0u

Postby Taz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:28 pm

I totally get what you are saying with it being a side effect. But isn't that just what all symptoms are? Everything has a knock on effect and all elements make up a condition.
Taz

Postby cranionaut » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:41 pm

natnat wrote:Hi just wondering, I have allways been terrible for saying the wrong word in a conversation without realising. I only know I do it because my Husband and kids are allway correcting me. I will say completely the wrong name, place or something.
( it does explain why people give me funny looks sometimes. lol ) I often wonder what things I have said to other people without realising.

It is just that as my symptoms have got worse over the last couple of years so has the words and sometimes I can't get the right words out. I get it with migraines sometimes but now I am getting it all the time. I just wondered if it is a symtom.

I dont say wrong words , but I'm noticing I write a lot of words now instead of the ones I meant , sometimes its quite bad , but mainly things like there's instead of the or wood instead of would .

Its not an issue , but it is annoying i.e. if I dont reread - which I usually dont.
cranionaut

Postby serenity79 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 pm

l00pyp0u wrote:did one this morning, just to myself, but I was reading abook and came across the word talk. Now i don't know why but I was completely confused by the word, couldn't understand what it meant, or even make sense of the spelling of the word, it just suddenly didn't make anysense what so ever. Took me a full 5 minutes to get round to the fact that the word was talk and meant speaking.
For me this has really upset me today, as I really dont know what I would do with out my books to escape into, and actually I am worried that this is going to get worse, I know I struggle with speach sometimes, the brain just strings a sentance together, but the mouth doesn't quite get the message, and I get very frustrated, and occasionally I will loose a word for months, but it has never happened when I am reading before. another one for the Dr,. oh well it's going on the list now, poor GP,
LOU

This happens to me as well, I completely lose meanings of words, or some words which I would normally use all the time start to look like they don't actually exist, it's hard to explain, but it's like they don't even look like a proper word.

I also get this thing were I can read and re-read the same passage a dozen times and see the same word each time, then maybe an hour later pick up the same thing and discover it was a completely different word all along. That makes me VERY confused. I'm still half-convinced a little pixie comes in and changes the text when I'm not looking.
HEDS, Autonomic Dysfunction, POTS, ME, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Icepick Headaches, Migraineous arm, Blepharitis and a cuddly toy.
serenity79
enthusiast

Postby Stone » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:49 pm

I've started getting words wrong, especially ones that sound the same but are written differently. I got right and write the wrong way around yesterday, been very good at English since forever so I was mortified :oops:

Stone
Stone

Postby ali » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:11 am

im getting my words constantly muddled,have to re read the text over and over again to mke sure i have said the write thing.sometimes i will read something and yet cant undersstand it as not understanding each word.i find it very different to read to someone,like i had to tell someone over phone over day how to spell the name of my village,i was getting coumplely tounge tied and confused on the lettts,i wanted to say each letter but i couldnt pronounce it.this has so annoyed me.
ali

Postby kittyo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:54 am

i have a terrible memory and often can't remeber words... if it's not that it's getting them get them jumbled up such as 'jitchard and rudy' and my temper is very bad at moment.. . seems to be getting worse like the smallest things make me angry. :evil: i feel bad after but at moment it seems the more pain i am in the worse my behaviour is
kittyo

Postby Chloe♥ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:37 am

Sigh.
In a room full of people I don't really know, along with one close friend I attempted to say, "The caffeine free coke tastes quite good."

The taste free coke caffeines quite good?
The coke taste caffeine is quite free?

I haven't the faintest idea.
Twice as much ain't twice as good,
And it can't sustain like one half could,
It's wanting more that's going to send me to my knees.
Gravity, John Mayer.
Chloe♥
enthusiast

Postby madmum » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 pm

I do it all the time. I read that after child birth a part of the brain ceases to function. I mix up the dogs names and instead of saying jess and molly i say mess! Also will leave a room to go and do something then forget what i went for. My son thinks it is funny.
Mum to son with hms,pain amplification,migraine,plantar fascitis,ibs.lactose intolerant,hayfever and numerous allergies. I have hms,arthritis,migraine,p.o.t.s,allergies,and others too numerous to mention. Acused of being mentally ill hence.....madmum.
madmum
Carpal tunnel

Postby alice-emma-louise » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Stone wrote:I've started getting words wrong, especially ones that sound the same but are written differently. I got right and write the wrong way around yesterday, been very good at English since forever so I was mortified :oops:

Stone

I used to be such a good speller - now I just get myself into a complete muddle with words....words that I've always been able to spell's spellings disappear, words themselves disappear, it's frustrating being a pedant who can't spell or remember the correct gramatical order of things!

Ax
alice-emma-louise

PreviousNext

Return to Related Conditions