ARTHRITIS GLOVES

Physiotherapy and bracing. Occupational therapy and assistive devices. This includes everday aides used in the home/outside.

ARTHRITIS GLOVES

Postby aheaps » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:34 am

Hi everyone,

just wondering if anyone has tried arthritis gloves. I haven't been diagnosed with arthritis yet (although awaiting test results) but I get alot of pain and swelling in my hands, knuckles and fingers and was wondering whether these gloves may help? If not any other suggestions as I am sick and tired of my hands being so sore and not being able to do stuff because of them. I find it very frustrating not being able to use my hands properly :(

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Claire

:bye:
aheaps

Re: ARTHRITIS GLOVES

Postby Tabi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:03 am

Yup yup.
I only have arthritis in a few knuckles, but I get achy hands with EDS. I got the fingerless pair from Lloyds and they're amazing!! Plus they look pretty much normal :mrgreen:
I'd say go for it, although I can't speak for anyone else I think they're ace.
Tabi xx
Group Leader for EAST ANGLIAN BENDIES [find us on Facebook]

Me: "Well I've got this new thing"
Doctor: "..."
Me: "It's just EDS, isn't it!?"
Tabi
enthusiast

Postby Blaadyblah » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:39 pm

My boyfriend bought me a pair two or three years ago - they're fab for keeping my hands warm under another pair of gloves, I love them - though they tendd to get uncomfortable after a little while unless I'm sat doing absolutely nothing.
Blaadyblah
Forum Moderator

Postby naama » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:08 pm

I've wondered about them because I get pain in my bottom knuckles (my MCP joints) and have started getting weird little bruises on them on a fairly regular basis. Plus I always have a tendency towards cold hands! :lol:
naama
nut

Postby Tabi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Seriously, they're grrrrreat! *cough* No they really are, they're on my list for a gold star!!
Tabi x

Tabi
enthusiast

Postby aheaps » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have decided to give them a go as I am fed up of having really painful, swollen hands and fingers. I have ordered some from ebay today. Hopefully they won't take too long to get here.

Mind you I am in the middle of moving house at the moment so my hands are getting a bit of a battering with packing and everything.

Thanks once again.

Claire

:bye:
aheaps

Postby lil_miffy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 am

never heard of them. are they just gloves but with support as apposed to a typcil brace? bit confused. anyone got a link to a pair.
lil_miffy

Postby Tabi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:13 am

Nope, they're for warmth and compression. They're soothing and help reduce swelling. Try this link!
http://www.thermoskin.co.uk/wrists.html
Obviously they're the ones at the top, that say "arthritis gloves"
Tabi xx

Tabi
enthusiast

Postby lil_miffy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:28 am

I've just ordreded a pair of the Thermaskin ones from ebay. my hands, especially my MCP joints and finger bones are killing me all the time now.
lil_miffy

Postby Finarda » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:34 pm

I find they're great for driving in (at least the ones that I have) as they really keep my finger joints in place. They're also great for using with my walking stick.

Fiona
Diagnosed EDS - Hypermobility 2004. Severe Hemiplegic Migraines. Both kids show hypermobility but haven't been tested.
A Scot living in Canada
Finarda
nut

Postby lil_miffy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:53 am

never thought about their use with things like driving or with sticks. In that case they might improve the pain and condition of my hands when im using a powerchair. my joystick hand get so painful.
lil_miffy

Postby lil_miffy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Iv been wearing my gloves for a few days now and a little disapointed as they dont have any major effect on the pain. I find the support they give to my fingers relieving but im not experiencing any level of pain relief with them. I also find the bit between the fingers digs ito my skins (im a bit webby between my fingers and particually my thumb) so i cant wear them in bed as my skins is getting really sore.
Im going to keep at them and use them under gloves in the winter. I have orderd my TENS machine from the physio supply finally and they supply TENS gloves which are made from silver nylon. you attache the TENS lead to the glove attachment and the TENS signals are distributed evenly around the hand which is supposed to offer TENS type pain relief so i will see how they go.
lil_miffy

Postby Finarda » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm not sure that you're supposed to wear them in bed. Are they compression type ones? If so, I was told not to wear them while sleeping.
Diagnosed EDS - Hypermobility 2004. Severe Hemiplegic Migraines. Both kids show hypermobility but haven't been tested.
A Scot living in Canada
Finarda
nut

Postby lil_miffy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:34 pm

oh right! it says on the websites that they can help with pain in bed and i think some of th girls on here who have them wear them in bed too.
they are the thermaskin ones.
lil_miffy

Postby Tabi » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:11 pm

I wear mine in bed, have done for 2 years, and my hands seem to be surviving... :wink:

Tabi
enthusiast

Next

Return to Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy/Assistive devices