Muscle Spasms and twitches

Issues relating to disorders which are related to, or which may occur as a consequence of HMS. Including but not limited to: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Marfans, Osteogenesis Imperfecta, Sticklers Syndrome, arthritis, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome. To include everyday problems such as IBS, eyes, teeth, etc.....

Re: Spasms

Postby libby » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:48 pm

i have really bad spasms in my hip, too. i had major surgery on it and i was guessing it was because i keep holding the muscles around it so tight, they're never relaxed. it's very painful when it happens, can be up to 10 (or i'd say, 11) on a scale of 0 to 10. and it's very sudden, starts abruptly and gets to 10 in a few seconds. it's also a but freaky because i can feel the actual bones inside cracking like they're going to burst, because all of the muscles in the area are contracting at the same time - like someone is squeezing the hip with big pliers. i don't know if any of this sounds familiar to you, just thought i'd describe it in case it does. then again i've had surgery on my hip so that changes the picture, i suppose.

i personally take fast acting tramadol (flashtabs that dissolve under the tongue) when it happens, and also muscle relaxants, and hope for the best. sometimes it also goes away on its own, if i'm brave enough to stand the pain till it does - usually i'm not, i'd throw up from the pain if i tried.

i thought it was only my hip because of the surgery, had no idea it might have something to do with HMS but it does make sense.

i'm sorry you're having this, too, YIKES!
HMS/EDS Hypermobility type, Fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, chronic pain syndrome and general non-specified nutsiness (GNSN)
libby

Postby Stone » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:21 pm

juliepops wrote:have been reading all your experiences of spasms. Does anyone get them in their feet? This has recently started happening to me . My foot "locks" into an odd position and its extremely painful.

Yep, loads of that. I tend to get it when I'm not wearing shoes and lazing around in the evening, so it's a bit easier to get out of! It seems to happen when I accidentally overstretch a muscle - then it goes into spasm and pulls itself further and further in the same direction, so I have to grab it and force it the other way to make it stop (or sometimes I just wait for ten/twenty seconds, high pain tolerance is useful for something!)

It is very sore - real 'stop everything this needs sorting out RIGHT NOW' pain (I'd say 7-8 for me) but once the muscle tires itself out it does ease off. It may help if you talk to a physio about some stretches for the affected muscle as the longer it is the less it should happen.

Stone
Stone

Postby juliepops » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:39 pm

Thanks for the physio suggestion stone. I got a call today to book my physio assessment for next week. I am so happy as have been waiting for this since rheumy referred me back in April. think I might make a list so I don't forget to mention anything.
HMS(diagnosed 2005), asthma, IBS, fibromyalgia/ME - EDS3 and scoliosis diagnosed 2011
Son hypermobile & recently diagnosed with Dyspraxia

HMSA Hampshire Support Group Leader
juliepops

Postby debbiedo61 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:05 pm

loosebones wrote:I wonder if anyone can help me. I ended up in A&E yesterday with my ankle in spasm and forced out of joint. Is there any medication that could possibly help with this? I'm after anything really as my spasms are getting much worse and causing huge problems. It leaves me sooooo tired too. Whilst I was in hospital yesterday for my ankle, my shoulder spasmed too and popped out. As well as spasms I twitch but not hugely and it's not affecting me too much at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas please? It's really affecting me at the moment.
Thanks

why dont you ask your gp to give you some diclafenac suppositories they work for me and the spasm is better in aprox 20 mins,hope you find this helfull :)
debbiedo61

Postby xanshea » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:33 pm

I suffer from severe muscle spasms, they usually start off as a dull ache then lead into a pulling sore sensation and then it pulls and distorts my back or where ever it is I am getting them, back are the worst as they lock up and make me look like a hunchback and pull my head down to my shoulder.

A mild one is like a flutter or twitch I can't stop and is really annoying but only mildly painful.

The doctors throw Diazepam (muscle relaxant) and codeine (pain relief) at me like they are smarties. I try not to take them unless last resort as they can cause problems if used constantly.
xanshea

shoulders and meds (particularly muscle relaxants)

Postby tireesix » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:52 pm

I am having issues with muscle spasms, waking up with kneecaps and jaw dislocated and locked out of place and so far not having much luck with presciptions. I suffer a lot with sleep and have so far tried zolpidem, some other hypnotic and currently Temazepam which is doing naff all. I have asked for others, tizanidine etc but I am constantly being refused, I was given quinine instead which has helped a bit with the muscle spasms and I wouldn't go without it but its not helping when joints are falling out and locking up during the night and I just finding it absolutely petrifying waking up and having my mouth locked open, or my leg locked in a bent position so I can't ruddy move etc etc etc........

Someone, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tireesix

spasms

Postby goddess » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:37 pm

hi,i couldnt find how to search to see if there was already a topic on this,so i started this,please move it if needed.I was wondering if anyone got cramps easily and if it could be part of hms? when im really fatigued,when i yawn and feel my muscles tense up as i draw in my breath ready to yawn,i get cramps in my collar bone,ribs or other muscle areas.Sometimes i get several areas cramping at once and its very painful.The other day i got cramp in my neck and was panicking about it as it was agony! i also have fibro so maybe its becuase of this or something different.The drs are no help on this one!
Last edited by barkingmad on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to existing topic/ titled changed for consistency
goddess

Postby Jo_dee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm

xanshea wrote:I suffer from severe muscle spasms, they usually start off as a dull ache then lead into a pulling sore sensation and then it pulls and distorts my back or where ever it is I am getting them, back are the worst as they lock up and make me look like a hunchback and pull my head down to my shoulder.

A mild one is like a flutter or twitch I can't stop and is really annoying but only mildly painful.

The doctors throw Diazepam (muscle relaxant) and codeine (pain relief) at me like they are smarties. I try not to take them unless last resort as they can cause problems if used constantly.

I suffer with muscle spasms in my upper back and neck, sounds similar to you. Often I find that if i've spent too long slouching over the laptop over a few days, I will wake up one morning with my back all tense and locked up and my neck in a funny position. I've had 4 bad ones over 18 months where I've had to take time off work (i dont know if others do the same for this?). Usually my osteopath helps relieve it with massage and manipulation, especially to get my neck back to where it should be. Usually it takes a week to calm down but this current one I'm having has lasted about 5 weeks and in the middle of it I had another one. I'm almost better but very stiff now.

Baclofen does nothing except help me sleep, which is good at least because when I have muscle spasms I have to sleep flat on my back and I cant usually sleep like that.
Jo_dee

Stress Spasms?

Postby lm176 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi all,

I've looked through and couldn't see anything about spasms, but if there is please point me in the right direction, could be that I've completely missed it!!

I've had spasms in random joints for ages, normally it's only the one joint at a time caused by an injury, something going out of line or overuse of said joint but the other day I had something COMPLETELY different:

I started getting pain in my jaw caused by a spasm for no reason, it got worse and worse until I couldn't move my mouth enough to even have a drink. Following this the spasms then seemed to spread to other parts of my body until I could barely move. I was given diazepam by the out of hours dr and this stopped it, though it came and went as the diazepam wore off for about 4 days. The only thing that I can think of that could have caused it is a delayed reaction to some bad news. Has anyone else had anything like this? Trying to get an appointment at my GP but they get a bit 'scared' of treating me without the express written direction of rheumatologist :wall: and one of the GPs has retired and not being replaced for another month so quite a waiting list!! Just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced anything like it or if it's something completely different??

Thanks all
Hypermobility diagnosed 2009, EDS III/Fibromyalgia and leg deformities diagnosed 2012.
lm176
New User

Pulsating muscle

Postby Blindthingz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:29 am

Hello
Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, my GP dosent think that it's related to Hypermobility but is equally quite perplexed to the poin where he went and got 2 other GP's to look at it!

So since yesterday afternoon my left calf muscle has literally been pulsating - there's no other way to discribe it, It looks like one of those electronic muscle stimulators is on it. I've made a video I'm going to upload it and put it on line so I'll link to itin a minute.

I rushed myself to the emergancy GP this moning because It had got worse since yesterday and I was worried it was something vascular like an aneurism - thankfully that was pretty much instantly ruled out.

The GP's said it was very odd, they don't think it's a a side effect of any of my medications (I have bipolar so I'm on a lot of meds! Lol). They think its just my muscle twitching but have said if it starts spreading or my leg goes weak I need to go to A&E.

If its still going on Tuesday they are going to contact a neurologist.
Flat feet, tibial torsion, knock knees, twisted hips and pelvis and joint hypermobility
Blind - unrelated to HMS rocking 13 different eye conditions - if you want the list just ask!
I blog at jemmabrown.wordpress.com
Blindthingz
New User

Re: Pulsating muscle

Postby Blindthingz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 am

YouTube has done something a bit odd to the video so its not as clear but feel free to have a butchers at my hairy leg!
http://youtu.be/yxQTizXzMGc
Don't you find something like this Always happens when you physically can't shave your legs!! :shock:
Flat feet, tibial torsion, knock knees, twisted hips and pelvis and joint hypermobility
Blind - unrelated to HMS rocking 13 different eye conditions - if you want the list just ask!
Blindthingz
New User

Postby sheppeyescapee » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:02 pm

I tend to get this on and off. I've found that I get it when the muscles are fatigued and I've pushed them a bit too far. If I give them some time to rest and use other relaxation techniques like heat or baths then it does tend to ease off eventually.
J - 28,student,married to the lovely Em and live with 2 cats Bilbo and Pippin. Diagnosed with Aspergers, Dyspraxia, Dyslexia, EDS-HM, Mild Asthma, Chronic Pain, Chronic Fatigue, POTS, Syncope
sheppeyescapee
addict

Postby dent17c » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:46 pm

I get it too on and off and also get sleep start type muscle twitches when relaxing in the evening.
dent17c

Postby mazza111 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:35 pm

I get one going in my chin and one just above the knee. Wonder if the one in my chin is from me talking too much :lol:
Lanarkshire Group Leader
Scottish Groups Coordinator
mazza111
enthusiast

Postby Blindthingz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:42 pm

It was on and off on Friday but I think I can say its finally stopped!

Now I feel like my left calf has done a intense work out!
Blindthingz
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Related Conditions