Ballet - good or bad idea?

Social impact of HMS - To include work, home and play. Communicating to friends and family/Lifestyle adjustments. Any other topic that seems to apply.

Ballet - good or bad idea?

Postby vh86 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi all

Just wondering peoples' opinions on ballet. I used to do it from 5-18. Just wondered if it might be helpful in terms of improving muscles and core stability, obviously nothing too strenuous like jumps, maybe just some bar work. Or would it be likely to cause injury. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Victoria xxx
HMS diagnosed 2006
vh86

Re: Ballet - good or bad idea?

Postby Jess » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:29 pm

There is a very good book to read if you are a dancer. It is written by Isabel Knight Its a guide to hypermobility Syndrome. Cant miss it as It has a lime green cover!
I feel like a bowl of Rice Cripsies!! I'm snap, crackling, popping everywhere!
Jess
nut

Postby star gazer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:13 pm

some of my physio excersises are similar to bar work. Both my gaughters studied ballet for 15 years daughter had probs with hip slidding, but since stopping has had more joint probs as her muscle bulk is not so great now and the ballet kept that and her posture in good condition, gentle excersises might be ok but most of the bar work involves hips and knees so it might depend on whether or not it causes you a problem. my phys excersise involves feet apart facing forward with knee bends, like a forward facing plie.
s g
star gazer
nut

Postby Rosie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:08 pm

Hiya

Both my daughters did ballet for a number of years, and I think that it helped with their general fitness and muscle tone. However, when the time came for them to start work on their points, I refused and they changed over to modern ballet, which they enjoyed judt as much. For my daughters we felt that being en pointe would just put too much strain on their knees (described by their teacher as banana knees) and their ankles. Their teacher was happy with our decision and made no attempt to dissuade me. I do think that it is impossible to say that ballet is good or bad for peeps with hypermobility as like everything else, it depends on the individual, their condition, the level of ballet, the teacher etc.
I do think that for many young children it can be a good way of strengthening muscle and improving or maintaing muscle tone, but it does require monitoring, and may need reconsidering if it causes injuries and/or pain for the child.
Sorry i can't help more

Rosie
Diagnosed HEDS December 1st 2005. DD1 (20) HEDS and scoliosis (now corrected by surgery), diagnosed June 2006. DD2 (18) mild HMS. Son (11) some hypermobile joints, poor muscle strength and seems to be developing scoliosis as well, woopee!
Rosie
Site Admin

Postby fancypants » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:02 am

Hello,

I wonder if the stretching out of the joints in the ankles & feet could make you more prone to injury...but you've already done it so many years that perhaps it wouldn't make much difference. I hope you can find a way to do the exercise you enjoy most of all.

Like Rosie's daughters I did ballet until I would have been required to go en pointe. Then I was switched into modern. I think that was safer. My hips & feet would have been much worse I think if I'd stayed in ballet.

Maybe you can evaluate for yourself how strong your feet & ankle joints are. I know I've sprained my feet & ankles many times but I don't think I did it once when I was dancing ballet (ballroom & latin, a different story, plenty of sprained feet & ankles in high heels). If you can manage it safely ballet makes dancers very strong so it would be a good exercise.

All the best.
www.inkpinkustink.blogspot.com
fancypants

Return to Social Issues - Work, home and play.