Places to eat near GOSH + grrr about British Museum!

Please post here any query that relates to Great Ormond Street Hospital/or your child's/adolescents hospital appointments generally. Within this section is helpful info regarding tips & hints for hospital visits -stays.

Places to eat near GOSH + grrr about British Museum!

Postby Alison C » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Just been to GOSH and we made a dash to British Museum for 1 hour (can walk there) before we went to the appt. Queues at the museum so made way back to GOSH but found lovely sandwiches etc at Tesco Express on SOuthampton Row (also there other cafes - C Nero, Pret A Manger, Pizza Express - near GOSH ie go out of GOSH turn right to the park at Queens Square ((great to eat there to watch pigeons!)), then turn left go past newsagent, and then turn left onto Southampton Row for the shops (ie the cafes and Tesco) ((Sainsburys much further away but useful if you are self catering - just carry on near Holborn)).

SUbway I think is in Little Conduit STreet as well as cafes.

We were running close to time so did not go for the Peter Pan Cafe/Costa Coffee and the restuarant at GOSH.

Maybe we should have brought a picnic!

:evil: To the British Museum as they never replied to my email about requesting tickets for the Terracotta Army before we went. You cannot order in advance now but I thought they may make an exception. We did ask for tickets when we arrived but they had sold out by 0915!

ALison

So if you are in a dash, go for Tesco Express!
Alison C
enthusiast

Re: Places to eat near GOSH + grrr about British Museum!

Postby dawn barlow » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Hi Alison,
We had our appointment at GOSH on the 12th and also used the Tescos for sandwiches there is a good choice. It is also very handy when you have a stay there.

My husband took our youngest son to the museum while i took Jordan and yazmin for their appontment, they didn't want to go again as there is quite a lot of walking in the museum and they don't cope very well with that.. My son enjoyed his trip but had very achey legs after walking round there.

Dawn
dawn barlow

Postby cocol » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:33 pm

There is the Brunswick centre near gosh, there is a waitrose, several places to eat (and shop) and a cinema.

About the British Museum, the advance tickets sold out before the exhibition even started, and you can't request tickets in advance as their system won't allow it. Unfortunately there is no exception, even staff have to queue for them, and get them on the day (my friend works there and she told me this).
cocol

Postby Alison C » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Oh thanks for the British Museum inside info! Makes me feel less grumpy!!

What - Waitrose there - I did not see it when we stayed for 2 weeks 2 years ago - drat! Where is it?!

Dawn - did you see us - we had Thomas and Emily. We did sit opposite a Mum with a teenage son - was it you?! We were there in the afternoon. We had a pink buggy. Thomas spent some time on the computer game thing by the loos. I should have posted we were going - so sorry we did not meet. Yes - we are a bit post GOSH fatigue!
Alison
Alison C
enthusiast

Postby Alison C » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:15 pm

I have found Waitrose on the website you mentioned - many thanks!

Alison
Alison C
enthusiast

Postby jcwilson » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Hi, we had the same two week stay last year.Yes there is a waitrose round the corner and it is a lot cheaper than the tesco extra.
There are a lot of little shops to the left of the hospital little food shops ect.at the bttom of road turn right. And if you dont feel like cooking at the bottom of the street when you make a turn left at the hospital entrance is a very good and not expencive italian restraunt ,we always go there when we visit.
There is also on the nice days a fab pkids park just around the corner.
Julianne
jcwilson

Postby dawn barlow » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Alison,
There were quite a few families in GOSh when we went last week, not sure whether i saw you or not. They had booked five families in for the same appointment though, we don't go back now until September.

Dawn x
dawn barlow

Postby Alison C » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Was your daughter making a picture in the play area (play leader there)? Were you sitting with your back against one of the walls? If so, we were opposite you!

Yes it was busy!

Near but yet so far!
Alison
Alison C
enthusiast

Postby dawn barlow » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:44 pm

No that wasn't us then, we were sat in a corridor not really doing much at all. Didn't want to move in case we got called in.
Maybe next time we'll meet someone.#

Dawn x
dawn barlow

Postby Kaleidogyn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 pm

A great "greasy spoon" cafe is the one just as you turn right into Lambs Conduit Street - I seem to remember its called "Sids". Anyway - you can't miss it, its just after you turn that corner. It does THE BEST omelettes in the world!!!! I used to go when my son was in GOS 9yrs ago, and its STILL doing great food.

Expect it to be busy though at lunchtime, and full of a lot of GOS staff!

Its definitely worth a short stroll for some nice, cooked food - if you fancy.

Kay
Kaleidogyn

Postby christianne » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi ,
Am reviving this thread because I have just returned from Ewan's second two weeker at GOSH so have updates on restaurants etc.
The Italian restaurant that Julianne mentions is still good and not too expensive,(although i never fail to be shocked by London prices however much I try to prepare myself!) A group of us went there and one was in a wheelchair, they didn't have a table for ten upstairs so they carried her downstairs! They couldn't have been more helpful.
Also when your kids are in the physio sessions and you want to escape the hospital environment, again as you turn left coming out of the hospital main entrance, there is a lovely little cafe called Tutti's they do a largish cuppa for 1.15 and hot chocolates, coffees etc much cheaper than the Starbucks opposite it, and have squashy sofas to sit on as well as chairs outside for the summer. They were very friendly and started to remember our 'usuals ' within a week!
If you turn left coming out of the patient hotel and walk straight up towards Southampton Row there is a restaurant called Cagney's it is really cheap and basic with fish and chips , roast chicken, omelettes etc as well as other more complicated fare. It also does takeaways , you can order over the phone but someone has to pick it up they don't deliver.
If you turn left but walk towards the tube station at Russell Square there is a row of shops and another good italian, and on Southampton row itself there are lots to choose from, independent restaurants as well as chains like Pizza Express etc I found that it was worth searching the voucher websites before going for two for one offers etc for the chain restaurants. I had one voucher for Cafe Rouge which there are lots of dotted around the major attractions(like near theatres etc) and had main course and drink for 10 pounds, and it is really nice food normally costing much more. It is worth looking also on the two for one by train site if you travel up by National rail. They have vouchers for two meals for the price of one, as well as tickets to theatre shows and major attractions, all buy one get one free.
Supermarket etc wise, right by Tutti's etc (as you turn left coming out of the entrance of GOSH) there is an independent eco supermarket called the 'People's supermarket', it has all the essentials and is easily the nearest to the hotel and hospital, I liked it too because it catered for coeliacs like me and my son.
Hope this is of help for people going on the 2 weeker.
Christianne.
Aged 47, dx EDS 3,POTS, Coeliac, breast cancer 2002. I have 4 children: son 14 - HEDS & Coeliac, daughter 25 - HEDS, POTS, pernicious anaemia, daughter 27 - HEDS, Behcets syndrome, also daughter 22 & 3 grandchildren unaffected as yet.
christianne

Return to Great Ormond Street/Hospitals & Appointments