Ideas of places to visit during GOSH HMS Clinic days

Please post here any query that relates to Great Ormond Street Hospital/or your child's/adolescents hospital appointments generally. Within this section is helpful info regarding tips & hints for hospital visits -stays.

Postby Retro » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Hi K,

Have a read thru some of the threads in this section about the inpatient rehab at GOSH.

Lindsey
...all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools... ~ Long Road Out of Eden ~ Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit (The Eagles)

Diagnosed with HMS 22 February 2006
Diagnosed with CFS/ME October 2005
Retro
Carpal tunnel

Postby Kaleidogyn » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:09 pm

ty ... will have a nosey around...

K
Kaleidogyn

Postby christianne » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi Kaleido
The Gosh rehab is a two week stay in GOsh where they have intensive rehabilitative physiotherapy. The idea is that you then continue the exercises at home and it helps strengthen the muscles around the joints helping to minimise subluxes and perhaps reduce pain. ewan went in september, feel free to pm me
Christianne
Aged 47, dx EDS 3,POTS, Coeliac, breast cancer 2002. I have 4 children: son 14 - HEDS & Coeliac, daughter 25 - HEDS, POTS, pernicious anaemia, daughter 27 - HEDS, Behcets syndrome, also daughter 22 & 3 grandchildren unaffected as yet.
christianne

Re: Ideas of places to visit during GOSH HMS Clinic days

Postby christianne » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi
Am adding to this because I have just returned from Ewan's second two weeker.
The first week we teamed up with some other mums and kids to go places and one was in a wheelchair. The British Museum has wheelchairs you can borrow at the door of the museum, and to get up the steps at the front there is a little lift.
We wanted to see a show, some of the theatres had no wheelchair access, sadly. However the Dominion, where we went to see We will rock You(the Queen musical) did have a lift down the stairs, although the person has to be able to transfer from the wheelchair to an ordinary seat once in the stalls. Once there,there was a special host because of our disabilities and he couldn't have been nicer. When I said we were worried about getting back to the hospital because you can never find a taxi after the show and asked if he could call one, he did and it was waiting outside afterwards, and was a people carrier so had enough room for us all.it waited around the corner by the stage door and some of the cast came out and said hello to the kids. Also, we paid half price for the tickets because we had a seat free as a carer for each disabled child by showing blue badges or cinema cards(CEA cards). So, a great experience. There is a cafe rouge next to the theatre.
It is worth looking on voucher websites before going as you can find deals for major attractions and restaurants, and money off cinemas etc. One of the best is the two for one by train site if you travel there by National Rail, (you must keep your tickets) you can print out vouchers for two for the price of one for many sights in London such as the zoo, Madame Tussauds, the imax 3d films at the Science museum just to mention a few and even theatre tickets.
Christianne
Aged 47, dx EDS 3,POTS, Coeliac, breast cancer 2002. I have 4 children: son 14 - HEDS & Coeliac, daughter 25 - HEDS, POTS, pernicious anaemia, daughter 27 - HEDS, Behcets syndrome, also daughter 22 & 3 grandchildren unaffected as yet.
christianne

Re: Ideas of places to visit during GOSH HMS Clinic days

Postby christianne » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 pm

I have just remembered , on the first Monday of the month the patient hotel shows a film in the lecture theatre. It was the new Nanny Mcphee when we were there. Also, there is an activity centre next to the school where you can leave the kids at certain times of the day(it closes at lunch time and at 4.30 though) and this has art materials, toys and some wii consoles. I think you may be able to stay with nervous younger kids but am not sure. There is a youth club there on a Thursday from 5.30 til 7.30 for secondary school aged kids(11 up) where they could play the wii, rock band guitars on wii, see films etc etc and generally chill out with other teenagers. Ewan really enjoyed going and it is a nice break for the mums.
Christianne
christianne

Previous

Return to Great Ormond Street/Hospitals & Appointments