GOSH rehab, general questions

Please post here any query that relates to Great Ormond Street Hospital/or your child's/adolescents hospital appointments generally. Within this section is helpful info regarding tips & hints for hospital visits -stays.

GOSH rehab, general questions

Postby cat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi,
Was just wondering on the success of the physio programme at GOSH?. I was told that they have been doing intensive physio for kids with HMS & been very successful. I think its great that physio is being targeted earlier in the cycle, but does that mean, once the kids are "built up", they will toodle off & be ok?
I would love to hear from other parents who are also going through any physio (not only GOSH!) programmes with their kids!, thanks in advance :)
Cat x
cat

Re: GOSH rehab, general questions

Postby fussymum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi ,
Cant answer your question sorry. but I do have one of my own. We have just recieved an apt to see rheumy at gosh (first apt) wondered if worth requesting to see physios and ots while there. Or is it more polite to wait and get refered, which would mean another trip up to London.
fussymum

Re: GOSH rehab, general questions

Postby fussymum » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:26 am

Hi can now answer both the previous posts,

At our first apt we were seen by both the physio and rheumatologist. The physio gave jr a complete examination and assement and prescribed a home exercise program. Our next trip up will be for ot and physio. thank God for Great Ormond Street.

The success of any physio program depends on how well you 'do it' (jrs own words- although he does describe them as a pain in the neck).
We are all ready seeing an improvement. I dont think children with hms are ever 'built up' . One growth spurt can undo all the good work. It is a case of constant monitoring and constantly working at maintaing 'good' muscle strength and tone.
Fussymum :wink:
fussymum

Return to Great Ormond Street/Hospitals & Appointments