Physio cancellations?

Please post here any query that relates to Great Ormond Street Hospital/or your child's/adolescents hospital appointments generally. Within this section is helpful info regarding tips & hints for hospital visits -stays.

Physio cancellations?

Postby cat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Hi,
My DD has been seen at GOSH, they all agreed she was extremely bendy & needed to be seen asap, this was in Sept 2010. Since then i have had constant letters dropping her from her appointments for physio. She is in such pain & i recently had to cut her long beautiful hair as she cannot cope with the combing of it amongst other things:(
Is it only me, or is this normal for kids to be bumped of the physio lists constantly?
Thanks x
ps) had my yearly check with Prof G & for the first time in my life blubbed like a baby, poor guy! - i think the relief of seeing someone who understood & wanted the best for me was too much for me to control! :oops: &
cat

Re: Physio cancellations?

Postby nemonie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 pm

This sounds dodgy to me, can you write to her consultant and ask them to contact the physio department on your behalf. It is also often useful to ring the physio department and get on the good side of the secretaries - they are in charge of the appointments after all. This sounds like it needs to be sorted out ASAP, I have only ever had appointments cancelled due to snow or illness.
Finally diagnosed with EDS-H and POTS after 20 years by the lovely Prof G \o/
Group Leader for Teesside & Co. Durham
nemonie
nut

Postby cat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Thanks nemonie:Apparently all the physio's wanted time off due to xmas so my DD was taken of the lists. I called them today, she is going to be seen end of March :(.
cat

Postby nemonie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Bad physio's. I'm glad you've got it sorted out at last. Make sure you make them feel very guilty when you get to see them. In the mean time maybe think about getting a wobble cushion for your daughter to sit on occasionally. This will help to engage her core muscles and hopefully start to increase her ability to hold herself together.
Just sitting on one for a minute or so at the beginning can be useful. Or sitting on a normal chair and putting her feet on the wobble cushion and trying to hold her legs steady for 30 seconds or so. You can find them online fairly cheaply - I got mine from physiosupplies.com via amazon
nemonie
nut

Re: Equipment needed?

Postby cat » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:40 pm

Great idea for the wobble cushion thanks!
Next task to look at all the equipment i need for her & myself......any ideas anyone - what are the basics we must all have??
cat

Postby nemonie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:27 pm

You can ask to be referred to an occupational therapist, either at the hospital or through social services. Obviously there are waiting lists for these but they can help you with ideas for equipment or just ways of doing everyday things differently. Or there are what are called independent or disabled living centres in various places around the country - you can make an appointment (some have open days) and go and try out equipment to get ideas.
There is a thread on here called handy equipment & gadgets or something.
nemonie
nut

Postby cat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks nemonie will look into those x
cat

Return to Great Ormond Street/Hospitals & Appointments