Weight Gain support group.

Anything to do with home, hobbies etc.

Re: Weight Gain support group.

Postby kayle_d » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Ok... now I'm just posting too much :lol:

I just found this site which has all types of body calculators on it.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/waist-circumference.php

- BMI Calculator

- BMR Calculator (meant to work out your metabolic rate)

- Body Fat Calculator

- Waist to Hip Ratio Calculator
kayle_d

Postby WinonaLemonade » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:13 pm

errr i got over 32% body fat which makes me obese! when i'm 5' and 7stone 7. i'm confused :S
edit: so my bmi is about 20 and my waist to hip ratio 0.69 which is all fine.
WinonaLemonade
enthusiast

Postby Purplesheep » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Winona, I think it does this for everyone :S
I had the same result (31%), and I'm borderline underweight (BMI 18.5). I think the calculator has an error somehow because I kept getting the same result even when putting in random numbers. I tried some other body fat calculators and they said something like 22%, which sounds a lot more accurate.
So don't worry, you are probably not obese :lol:
Purplesheep

Postby kayle_d » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:29 pm

:lol: I hadn't actually tried that one before. Mine came back 31.53% for the body fat which makes me 0.5% off being obese!! :lol:

Somehow I don't think that test works :lol:

My bmi is just over 18 and hip to waist of 0.78. So they're not too bad.

*Edit: Just found another body fat calculator, and now apparently I'm underweight by 98 pounds!!!
kayle_d

Postby WinonaLemonade » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:47 pm

i did another one and i was 17%
WinonaLemonade
enthusiast

Postby Millie123 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:00 pm

I don't think the body fat calculator works either, it made be obese when at 5ft and 7 1/2 stone most people tell me I'm under weight. I personally don't think you can take these test too seriously.
I've been reading a few of other peoples post and in a way its nice to see that there are other people who are trying to gain weight :)

Since I was about 12 I've been struggling to keep weight on, at the moment I'm quite happy with my current weight, but my weight fluctuates between just under 7 stone to just under 8 stone. I've found that when I'm stressed or have joint pain I eat less and when I'm happier and pain free I eat more.

I was reading mami2fours post and I don't see that if your kids eat lots of junk food it will help, I eat a lot of junk food and I'm still skinny. From personal experience, I've found that eating one proper meal a day sat down with my family, has helped me maintain my weight, its when I'm on my own and don't feel so well that I just don't bother to eat. I think people putting presure on your kids to eat will just cause problems, as long as they are happy I don't think you should put pressure on them to eat more.
I went through a stage when I was in my early teens and things were a little difficult at home, I would have to leave at least one thing on my plate at the end of a meal. I know this is a form of eating disorder, and it wasn't helped my anxiety attacks that started when I was doing my GCSE's, but I've managed to over come these problems and although I still don't eat healthily, I eat a lot better than I did.

And if anyone know of a good gluten free muffin recipe could they let me have it.
Diagnosed with HMS on 18th June 2010
Millie123
New User

Postby DeeNJai » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:25 pm

One Minute Muffin in Mug
50g Milled Flex Seed
1tsp Splenda
1 egg
1tbs butter
1tsp of baking powder

it takes a about a minute in a microwave. Its nice with blueberries and yogurt or you can make it savory with mustard and cheese. It does dry out quite quickly once it is cooked. It is also gluten free so people that trying to follow a gluten free diet can eat it too.
Dee
DeeNJai
enthusiast

Postby loosebones » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am

Just been to see my GP again and she says that my lack of periods could be due to me being underweight. I'm trying so hard to put on weight and just don't seem to be able to. I have Polycal to use but would rather gain weight myself rather than using prescription stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm eating little and often and as varied a diet as my allergies allow.
"Just when I got my head together, my body fell apart".
"I think I have a problem with my joints..."
The heaviest thing I can carry is a grudge.
loosebones
Forum Moderator

Postby gila » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm

owww big hug loosebones! you're once again really being hit by loads of probs all at the same time... :hug:

I find to maintain/gain weight I need to eat 'bigger than normally advised' amounts of slowish carbs (potatos/rice/bread etc but also things like chickpeas/I quite often eat hummus by the spoonful :P )-
friends are always amused how a shrimp like me can put away 'horse sized' portions of those :wink:
(haute or nouvelle cuisine... really arent my thing... gimme peasant food!!!! :D )

and I seem to need red meat rather often and v regularly (but that can be quite little portions)- otherwise my bowels produce nothing but 'explosive waterfalls' and I start to loose weight...

but 'eating loads/more carbs' pity enough isnt always poss... and typically not poss just when you 'really need it'... in times of physical or emotional stress my stomach says stop at about half my usual...
xxg
gila
Carpal tunnel

Postby loosebones » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:51 pm

I need to resurrect this thread after my weight has plummeted with me being in hospital for a month and now being unable to eat properly.

I've dropped to 6stone 11 which is basically exactly a stone that I have lost. I need to put it back on but my tum is rejecting most foods, will only tolerate puree, my allergies make it impossible to have build up drinks and I can't do any exercise or anything as I'm so weak.

I'd appreciate ways to gain weight...have tried most of them but please bear in mind my allergies and that I can barely eat a little bit only twice a day and can't tolerate high fat.
loosebones
Forum Moderator

Postby DeeNJai » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Could your doctor give some build up drinks that wouldn't react with your allergies. Allergies can be a pain in the neck because you have too look at everything.
Dee
DeeNJai
enthusiast

Postby loosebones » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Dee that would be the ideal situation however I have stumped both the Dr, dietician and pharmacist with build up drinks. I'm allergic to everything that makes up build up drinks...lactose, dairy, sugar etc :wall:
loosebones
Forum Moderator

Postby Jess » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:40 pm

I cant rememberr what you are like with Honey LB but could you addd that to baby foods? I'm getting eloise to look up what the ingreadents is to PRO-CAL and Maxi-jul see if they would be any good for you. As you can mix them into your purreed foods and have the extra calories that way.

DOH Pro cal has lactose in them. I know the students I used to work with, had it in their food alot.
but the MAxi-jul super soluble is fine for you
As well as Calogen as it is mostly fish fat which is easy digestable.
I feel like a bowl of Rice Cripsies!! I'm snap, crackling, popping everywhere!
Jess
nut

Postby loosebones » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Can't tolerate Calogen....tried it in hospital and threw it straight back up each time...just too fatty. I'm trying a build up powder right now which is free from everything but I had to buy it myself.

Saw GP today, she is concerned as I've lost another kilo in a week. I now weigh 43 kilos. Not seeing Prof Aziz until Feb 16th, hope there is something left of me by then.
loosebones
Forum Moderator

Postby loosebones » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Quick update - since my last post I have gained a couple of kgs but I've just started the FODMAP diet as recommended by my dietician and Prof Aziz's team and am now losing weight again but my stomach symptoms have improved.

I came on here to post something important but my mind has gone totally blank so I'll sign off for the night and hopefully remember what it was when I come back tomorrow :wall: What's the betting I remember at 3am :roll:
loosebones
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Home and Hobbies