Crafts thread

Anything to do with home, hobbies etc.

Re: Crafts (to distract from pain (in so much discomfort I d

Postby shen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Had a request for another cake for a girl's 18th Birthday. This one got on my nerves a bit because they kept changing their mind on what they wanted, so every time i had made up a design I had to change it! It started out just being a simple square cake and ended up being shaped like an 18!

18th Birthday Cake

Stone: I'm sure your baking is great!! You'll have to post some photos when you do some!
♬ ... If this is paradise ... ♬
♬ ... I wish I had a lawnmower ... ♬
shen
enthusiast

Postby Fiona-Jane » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Hiya all,

I've become obsessed with amigurumi (crochet animals) and have made 2 so far. I gave both to my nephew, Dylan, who absolutely loves them and is amazed that you can actually make toys at home! :lol:

photos of my animals are attached- the top one is a bat, and the one below is a cat. the cat was my very first attempt at crochet as i'd never even held a crochet hook before i started this cat.... so the tension is all a bit off and it's a bit holey in places... but it's not that bad considering i was a total crochet virgin :lol:

fi xx
Attachments
160s.jpg
most recent animal- this ones a bat!
160s.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
156s.jpg
First attempt at crochet!
156s.jpg (15.02 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (Hypermobile Type) finally diagnosed Feb '08, and a baffling array of other conditions just so my EDS wont get lonely ;^D

my blog : My EDS and its associated randomness.....
Fiona-Jane
addict

Postby jojackson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Aww Fi, they're amazing! I've always loved the look of those crochet amigurumi figures, but find holding a crochet hook horribly uncomfortable, so I have to content myself with knitting. Have you seen the patterns for knitted stars? They have a knitted Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, etc. Genius!

Are you on Ravelry (www.ravelry.com)?
32 years old, diagnosed with EDS-H at UCH in 2009
jojackson

Postby Englishgremlin1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 pm

they are lovely.
If we can crack joints we can crack systems

Male diagnosed with Hypermobile EDS November 06.
Englishgremlin1
addict

Postby serenity79 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Awwww, those are just the cutest things! I especially love the bat, I'm a lover of bats (although I love cats too, I have two!) so I was immediately drawn to that one!

:mrgreen:
HEDS, Autonomic Dysfunction, POTS, ME, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Icepick Headaches, Migraineous arm, Blepharitis and a cuddly toy.
serenity79
enthusiast

Postby Clare » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Jo

Are you on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com)?

I'm on there, under the Discworld themed group. I knit sporadically, depending on the strength in my hands. I don't post much at all, but I do go on and dream of knitting all those glorious projects!

Given the quantity and quality of the work people have shown on here, perhaps there are enough of us to form a new Ravelry group - Bendies united? :lol:

Clare
Clare

Re: Crafts thread

Postby jojackson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:37 pm

Add me as a friend on Rav? I'm there as jojackson (original, huh?)! There are quite a few people there with EDS (esp. in the Chronic Stitchers and Connective Tissue Disorders groups), and I've picked up a few really helpful tips from them. My favourite was being introduced to Kollage needles, which are square rather than round, and put the strain on different joints (I find), so using them for some projects and round needles for others means that I can spread the strain!

Jx
jojackson

Postby Clare » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Yeah, will do! I'm YorkshireClare (not very original either...).

I'm on the Ankh-Morpork Knitter's Guild, which is for Terry Pratchett fans. I found it after discovering that he knits, and the ladies on there made him a themed afghan blanket.

I joined ravelry before I found out what was causing the stiffness in my hands, so I might mosey round to the Connective Tissues group.

All the best!
Clare

Postby Clare » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm

OK Jo

You have the distinction of being my first Rav friend, mostly because I didn't realise I could do that! :roll:

Others are also most welcome.

Clare
Clare

Postby jojackson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:16 am

I'm glad to be the first! I've added you too, and will check tomorrow if that means that I get to see what you look like! I've got a few pics on rav, but not a huge number. I think my hair's brown in the pics, which is how it is at the moment, so they're probably moderately helpful!

I'll look at the Terry Pratchett group -I was only introduced to his books fairly recently, and can't believe that I managed to get to 25 (or perhaps older) without reading a single Discworld book!
jojackson

Postby loosebones » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 am

I've been playing with fimo and have done some cute bendy people. This is Hannah reading a book:

If anyone wants to check out the other bendy people, they're on my facebook profile at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1072051&id=284800034#!/photo.php?pid=1072055&id=284800034&fbid=520379965069

(They're only 1-3 inches in size)
"Just when I got my head together, my body fell apart".
"I think I have a problem with my joints..."
The heaviest thing I can carry is a grudge.
loosebones
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

They are gorgeous loosebones, brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about one W sitting?

Rosie
Diagnosed HEDS December 1st 2005. DD1 (20) HEDS and scoliosis (now corrected by surgery), diagnosed June 2006. DD2 (18) mild HMS. Son (11) some hypermobile joints, poor muscle strength and seems to be developing scoliosis as well, woopee!
Rosie
Site Admin

Postby loosebones » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:32 am

thanks rosie, that's now on the to do list! If you think of any others let me know :wink:
loosebones
Forum Moderator

Postby Rosie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 am

Well, since you mention it, how about what I call Z sitting. I think this is the older person's version of W sitting :lol: It's the one where you sit with both legs ticked under you, but both out to the same side. It sit like this on the floor (on the rare occasion I sit on the floor) and on the bed or sofa. It is definitely my 'normal' position.

:bye:

Rosie
Diagnosed HEDS December 1st 2005. DD1 (20) HEDS and scoliosis (now corrected by surgery), diagnosed June 2006. DD2 (18) mild HMS. Son (11) some hypermobile joints, poor muscle strength and seems to be developing scoliosis as well, woopee!
Rosie
Site Admin

Postby loosebones » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:58 am

I know exactly what you mean - will also add it to the list
loosebones
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Home and Hobbies