Heel Pain

Issues relating to parenting children/adolescents who have HMS / HEDS

Heel Pain

Postby Bec24 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has a had a child complaining of heel pain? My 4 year old has just started saying hers hurt. Thanks.
Bec24

Re: Heel Pain

Postby cyberbarn » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Hi,

Yes, my son has heal pain. he is 14 now and loves to contradict me when I say to people that his ankles are hypermobile, by saying that it is the bottom of his heel that hurts, not his ankles!

He finds that he needs to stand on something soft such as a sheepskin rug (we have wooden floors) and wears really thick bottomed sheepskin slipperboots indoors and that seems to help.

I am afraid though that I have no idea why that part of his foot hurts.

Cheers,
Jennifer
cyberbarn

Postby fussymum » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Hi,
sorry your little one has heel pain. Most heel pain is due to the ligaments that attach into the heel bone becoming inflamed due to over use. A visit to a podiatrist/chiropodist should help. They can examine and diagnose and prescribe either insoles or heel pads. Heel pads short term will make it easier to walk. longterm insoles will help the feet to move in a way that wont put excessive strain on the ligaments of the feet.
Hope this is useful
Fussymum :bye:
fussymum

Postby Bec24 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi, Thanks for your replies. We're waiting a podiatrist's appointment so hopefully they won't get too painful before we see them. Her ankles are very flexible and her feet roll in so I'm guessing this is making the ligaments overwork?
Thanks again, Bec
Bec24

Return to Parenting Children/adolescents with HMS