Best times to take pills?

Please do not mention specific dosages in this section.
Issues relating to pain management - from the latest drug therapies and combinations to pain clinics and cognitive behavioural therapies.

Best times to take pills?

Postby Kattykins » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:23 pm

I am sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I am afraid I couldn't find it.

I have HMS (DX in 2003 but with a lifelong history of symptoms)
Fybromyalgia (DX 2011)
Inflammatory arthritis (DX 2010 still being queried!)

I am on the following
Hydroxychloroquine
Pregabelin
Trazodone at night

I am also on Paracetemol
Tramadol as required
Diclofenac as required

Phew!

I also work 9-3 5 days per week.

I tend to take the hydroxychloroquine and pregabelin first thing in the morning and then again about 6pm with my meal. I take the trazodone about 8-9pm but I am still very groggy though the morning. I tend to become more human about 2pm! Not very practical when I am working! Thank goodness I work from home!!

Would it be feasible to take the pregabelin and hydroxychloroquine at 3pm and then take the rest at bedtime (about 10ish)? Would that help or is the gap between the two doses too short?

Any ideas?
Sorry for the length of post!

Mod edit - some information about dosage removed. Please read the site rules.
Kattykins

Re: Best times to take pills?

Postby thalia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Personally I have over the years taken several meds that, according to the number of doses per day, should ideally be taken every 8 hours. With most of them, though, it has been fine for me to take them with 4-6 hour gaps, and a longer break overnight while I (try to) sleep.

If in doubt, though, you can check with a pharmacist. They are usually very knowledgeable about the meds they prescribe, and if they're not sure have reference books they can check in. Some meds it is important to keep the right gap, others, so long as you don't exceed the daily dose, the gaps between doses are less important.
HMS (diagnosed 13/9/12 confirmed at UCHL 27/11/12), ME, FMS, autoimmune hypothyroidism

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it." (Terry Pratchett)
thalia

Postby anna » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Yes, I agree with Thalia, check with your pharmacist or Doctor, then you know you're being safe.
hi, hms sufferer, diagnosed at age 45!!!!!
anna

Postby cracker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:02 pm

i agree too with anna & thalia it best to be safe have a chat to your doc or pharmacist. :bye: :P
Diagnosed with HMS July 2011. at age 31by my physio & HMS EDS3 & pots the 28 March 2013 age 32 by Prof Grahame.
i have a good sense of humor
dyslexia,asthma ,mild learning disabitys ,mild ibs,mild scoliosis and
full time crutches user x
cracker
Carpal tunnel

Return to Pain Management and Medication