What about hypermobility causes fatigue and muscle soreness?

Please do not mention specific dosages in this section.
Issues relating to pain management - from the latest drug therapies and combinations to pain clinics and cognitive behavioural therapies.

What about hypermobility causes fatigue and muscle soreness?

Postby BigIce » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:34 pm

To the knowledgeable members of the board...Like many members here I have suffered from fatigue issues my whole life. I have the "invisible syndrome" as stated on the boards, where no urine, blood or neurological test test shows any irregularities yet I'm always had fatigue issues, and muscle soreness after even light workouts.

What is the actual scientific reason why having loose joints or being collagen depleted causes so many issues with fatigue and muscle pain?
BigIce

Re: What about hypermobility causes fatigue and muscle soren

Postby gila » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am

theory goes : in 'normals' joints are held in their place by the ligaments- in us due to ligaments being stretchier/longer the muscles have to take on part/or all of that job=they have to work more/harder=they get quicker/easier fatigued and sore
it's also thought that it's poss that apart from being more prone to noticable obvious injuries, we might be prone to 'plentiful micro injuries' (things like tiny tiny strains/tears etc that arent obvious) which then also cause soreness/pain and of course need repair/healing time

it's also thought poss that with time these 'plentiful micro injuries' may be/or be part of what leads to the malfunctioning of the pain signaling system=the chronic pain syndromes that so many of us suffer

I am not aware of any scientific studies that have been done to prove these 'theories'- but I heard them from prof g who has spent his life dealing with HMS/EDS-
so taking his decades of experience and my personal experience into account...
me thinks you'd better think twice/thrice if you really want to continue full contact boxing :wink:
xxg
ps : 'depleted collagen'- although the exact problem with our collagen isnt known as yet- thinking is that it's more likely a case of "faulty collagen" or "wrong ratio between collagen and other "building fibres/materials"
gila
Carpal tunnel

Postby garrysangel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:53 pm

My rheumy told me that my muscles are having to work harder to hold my joints together so they get sore from it. Also my body has to work harder in general to function so that causes fatigue. There's probably more to it, but that's all I've figured out.

Amy in Austin, Texas
garrysangel
New User

Postby rovingricey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:34 am

My understanding of the science (as a very lay person!) is just as the others have outlined above.

In addition, I saw a very sympathetic clinical podiatrist last week who said that having hypermobile foot and ankle joints means that every step for us is like several steps for a 'normal' person. Our bodies are having to work so hard just trying to keep us stable and this makes us tired.

Personally, after years of thinking I was going mad, I find these (admittedly grossly simplified) scientific explanations extremely comforting.
rovingricey

Postby Spireite » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:53 pm

But the big question is why doesn't it effect everyone who has hms? I don't suffer from fatigue - I have lots of energy. I go to the gym regularly and do some tough workouts, no problem. I do suffer from daily subluxations, particularly in my 'too extremely hypermobile' feet and ankles. I also go running in motion control trainers, but can't walk properly in sensible shoes with severe orthotics. So it isn't a pure case of muscles working a bit harder.
Joint group leader for South Central (Bucks, Oxon, Herts)
Spireite
addict

Postby pink » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:03 am

This just goes to show how hms affects us all differently. I don't suffer frequent dislocations, just many sprains, aches 'heavy feeling' and tiredness / can't concentrate with fatigue kicking in frequently in the week.
HMS diagnosed early 2008, raynauds diagnosed late 2007 and mild ibs diagnosed much earlier. Symptons resembling fibro but not actually fibro, now looking at possilbe mild autonomic dysfunction and possible early signs of carpal tunnel.
pink
enthusiast

Postby nemonie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:12 am

I get body fatigue but not brain fatigue - which is very annoying when trying to go to sleep. Everyone is different though, so some people may have low muscle tone and this could make the aforementioned need to hold-our-selves together cause much more fatigue than in someone with generally good muscle tone. Then there are nerve/muscle interactions which muck everything up even more :eh:
Finally diagnosed with EDS-H and POTS after 20 years by the lovely Prof G \o/
Group Leader for Teesside & Co. Durham
nemonie
nut

Postby rovingricey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:58 am

I suppose what we really need is research studies which contrast symptomatic hypermobiles with asymptomatic hypermobiles. Anyone know if this has been done already? Would be tricky to design such a study because of the amount of people who are hypermobile without realising it or at least, without realising until something goes wrong. Wouldn't be impossible though.

Not that there's much chance of this getting funding! (says a cynical ex-university researcher!)
rovingricey

Postby Rosie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi all

Not to mention the compliction f hypermobile peeps who are asymptomatic for part of their lives until problems start devevloping e'g' at puberty, pregnancy, illness or trauma. There is definitely not enough research going on.

Rosie
Diagnosed HEDS December 1st 2005. DD1 (20) HEDS and scoliosis (now corrected by surgery), diagnosed June 2006. DD2 (18) mild HMS. Son (11) some hypermobile joints, poor muscle strength and seems to be developing scoliosis as well, woopee!
Rosie
Site Admin

Postby Jjude » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

these theories all make sense! I was fine until I got ill a couple of years ago, now my body is working sooo hard to recover and function I am exhausted!
Jjude

Postby jadebhms » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:53 pm

I always get very tender and sore thigh muscles and my physio therapist said that because the joints are so loose it makes the muscles b stretched tighter and makes them become sore. This makes the muscles work harder and causes fatigue. I get extremely tired al the time and i think thats because my whole body is hypermobile wher as some people only have a few joints like that so maybe thats why some people dont get as tired.

Jade x x
jadebhms

Return to Pain Management and Medication